* Job Title: Head of Technology Development
* Location/Hybrid: Cardiff with the opportunity to work from home – attendance is required at the Cardiff Automation Hub 2/3 days per week.
* Contract type: Permanent – Full Time (37 hours per week).
* No sponsorship/Visa offered/ DBS checks required
Who are we?
We are a leading business service provider to public and private sector organisations throughout the UK. We pride ourselves in revolutionising our clients operations using our expertise and innovative solutions across a wide range of services, including Revenues & Benefits, Finance and Accounting, HR & Payroll and Customer Services.
Is this for you?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Development to join our business, working closely with senior stakeholders to ensure the Development Teams and technologies utilised are aligned with strategic business goals.
This is a newly created role, reporting to the Director of Middle Office and Automation Services. As Head of Tech Development, you would be responsible for directing the Development Teams in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications. You will coordinate the Development Teams schedules ensuring effective communication between team members and other IT functional areas. Additionally, you will be expected to provide feedback and suggestions for process and product improvements whilst acting as a technical mentor and adviser. You will take responsibility for overseeing major service issues, project implementations, whilst adhering to technical strategy, processes and standards.
The successful candidate will participate in technical research to enable continuous innovation; you will champion the adoption of emerging technologies, develop the Teams capabilities and identify skills gaps. You will be responsible for ensuring that all software solutions and related procedures adhere to organisational values, security compliance and relevant standards.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Working closely with senior stakeholders to understand business requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the Development Teams
- Planning and documenting technical specifications for features or system design
- Designing, building and configuring applications to meet business process and application requirements
- Directing the Development teams in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging of applications
- Writing testable, scalable and efficient code and leading code reviews
- Mentoring team members and ensuring they adhere to determined software quality standards
- Lead We’s digital transformation program through the development and implementation of software solutions for both internal and external business clients in accordance with confirmed business priorities
- Provide key support and assistance, assuring ‘fit for purpose’ software solutions for both internal and external clients, including technical support during project design phases
- Lead software solution development, whilst adhering to secure application development principles and version control management
- Ensure implementation and post implementation support of software solutions into a BAU environment
- Regular liaison with the Infrastructure Teams to ensure developed software is able to operate and perform on resident infrastructure
- Support Project Managers to map technical tasks and resolve any issues relating to software solutions
- Recommend improvements to existing software programs as necessary and support continuous system improvement initiatives
- Ensure incidents that are related to software solutions and systems managed by the Development Team are resolved within agreed SLAs
- Maintain knowledge of supported applications to develop, maintain and provide ongoing support of both 3rd party, back office and online automated solutions
- Out-of-hours support as per occasional standby arrangements and occasional planned work
- Ensure that any performance management tools and internal service records are completed accurately and on time
- Complete line management duties for the Teams, including annual appraisals and reviews
- Protect all client and confidential information in accordance with security policies.
Essential Skills required:
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent professional technical qualifications, or relevant professional experience
- 5 years’ experience within an established IT software focussed organisation
- Proven success as a technical Team Leader
- Established mentoring and coaching skills
- Excellent communication skills, being able to operate at all levels within the organisation
- Excellent planning, development and project skills
- Experience and understanding of both ‘Client sided/front-end Development’ and ‘Server Sided/back-end Development’ is essential
- Knowledge and experience of developing and supporting RESTful API protocols is essential
- Experience of developing and hosting applications on a Windows based infrastructure is essential
- Flexible and willing to accept changes to requirement priorities as necessary
- Well developed and proven skill in maintaining and troubleshooting technical issues and solutions
- Experience of working to Secure Development Principles is essential and familiarity with and use of ISO 20000 standards would be beneficial.
- Single person private medical health cover.
- 25 days holiday per annum, plus bank holidays.
- Life assurance which is equivalent to 4 times annual salary.
- Defined contributory pension scheme – employees can contribute up to 6% and the company will match the contribution to a maximum of 6%.
- Enhanced employee benefits – we have a reward scheme for all We employees, using a gateway called ‘Look Inside’. Here employees can access a wide range of benefits, rewards and discounts.
- Access to employee wellbeing initiatives.
- Charity and volunteering initiatives.
- The chance to work flexibility if required.
- Employee assistance programme.